Living in Brisbane
Living in Brisbane is great, even if we do say so ourselves! We’ve got an awesome city, we’re close to the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, we have the islands of beautiful Moreton Bay and the Glasshouse Mountains on our doorstep and plenty to do in magnificent sunshine year-round. At North Harbour we’re fortunate to get the chance to experience the best of North Brisbane working with our community partners in this great area. So, to help you make this year (and new decade!) your best yet, we’ve gathered up our 12 must-dos (one per month) to help you get the most out of living in Brisbane in 2020.
Bite is the perfect spot to spend easy al fresco, tasty time with family and friends in 2020. With over 40 food trucks to choose from, live entertainment, activities for kids, market stalls and plenty of seating Bite is definitely a great place to start 2020.
- Cost: $3 entry – under 12s are free – food cost ranges from $5 to around $20. Free parking
- Dates: Every Friday and Saturday night
- Where: Nolan Drive, exit 150 on the Bruce Highway
Our local AFL ground hosts national warm-up games every pre-season. It’s a great chance to watch the big leagues up close and personal in one of the best facilities in Australia. This year you can catch Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide.
- Cost: TBC but usually around $20 for an adult ticket, kids go free with a paying adult
- When: Sunday February 23rd, kick off 3:10pm
- Where: Moreton Bay Lions, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex – AFL Precinct, Aquatic Centre Dr, Burpengary QLD 4505
Yes, we might be a bit biased, but our new $3M Heritage Park really is worth a visit in 2020. Not only is it located in beautiful riverside parkland, it also offers 6km of mountain bike track, heritage trails, artefacts and Compass Centre, BBQs, picnic shelters and amenities.
- Cost: Free
- Opening times: 6am to sunset every day
- Address: Access is through Moreton Bay Boulevard at North Harbour in Burpengary East, directions and more information are here
Every Good Friday, thousands of visitors flock to Suttons Beach to watch the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race. It’s a great day with plenty of entertainment, good food, markets and much more. A perfect start to the Easter long weekend.
- Cost: Free entry
- When: Good Friday, times tbc
- Where: Suttons Beach, Redcliffe
Dayboro Day is a celebration of the country town of Dayboro, “the Town of Yesteryear”. The day includes entertainment, demonstrations and market stalls in Williams St (the main street of Dayboro) and the amazing pineapple pie eating contest and dry land raft race! An antiques and collectables Fair also runs at the Dayboro Showgrounds.
- Cost: Free entry, food and market stalls inexpensive, free parking and shuttle bus
- Opening times: Sunday May 31st, 8:30am-3pm
- Where: Williams Street, Dayboro
June to September is the best time to see the whales migrate north in Queensland. Living in Brisbane you have the choice of many whale watching cruises and can sometimes even see them from shore on one of our beautiful Moreton Bay beaches.
Take a step back in time and enjoy the spectacular Abbey Medieval Festival. Held in the grounds of the Abbey Museum this is a unique opportunity to experience life in medieval times. You can watch jousting, catapults, battle re-enactments, drink mead, play games and so much more.
- Cost: TBC, tickets go on sale on Feb 1st
- When: July 11th and 12th
- Where: 1-63 The Abbey Place, Caboolture, Queensland 4510
This beautiful space is home to over 1000 butterflies and is a very rare gem in the already extremely beautiful Bribie Island.
- Cost: Adults $12, Concession $10 & pensioners, Child (4-15) $7, Family (2+2) $34
- Opening times: Wednesdays & Sundays only 10am-4pm
- Where: Bribie Island Butterfly House, 208 First Ave, Bongaree QLD 4507
There are heaps of places to pick strawberries in the school holidays with the kids and it’s a great day out with a satisfyingly tasty and healthy result!
- Cost: Various
- When: Most farms are open daily
- Where: Various
Well worth a visit at any time of year, Caboolture Historical Village goes all out for Halloween! Heaps of lollies, scary snacks, devilish décor and scares a plenty.
- Cost: TBC but 2019 cost $5 per entry
- When: 31st October
- Where: 280 Beerburrum Rd, Caboolture
Caboolture Environmental Education Centre (CREEC) is set on 18 stunning acres hectares next to Burpengary Creek. The site has several habitats and is home to a wide range of wildlife. CREEC has one of the best playgrounds in north Brisbane and is a great place to explore nature and buy native plants from the community nursery.
- Cost: Free
- When: Open 7 days a week
- Where: 150 Rowley Rd, Burpengary, Queensland, 4505
Santa, Christmas markets, carols, entertainment and all things Christmas happen at the annual Burpengary Christmas Spectacular!
- Cost: Free entry, cost for food, rides, beverages and market
- When: TBC, usually first Saturday in December
- Where: 111 Station Road, Burpengary
Find North Harbour
North Harbour’s Sales and Information Centre & Display Village is open seven days a week, 10am-5pm. Located on the corner of Buckley Road and Fraser Drive in Burpengary East, our 31 home Display Village is a great one-stop-shop for house hunters looking to find out what it’s like when living near Brisbane, showcasing brand new designs from 16 of Australia’s best builders including Bold Living, Burbank Homes Coral Homes, GJ Gardner Homes, Hallmark Homes, Homes by CMA, Integrale Homes, McLachlan Homes, Metricon Homes, OJ Pippin Homes, Oracle Platinum Homes, Orbit Homes, Pantha Homes, Stroud Homes, Stylemaster and Sunvista Homes. To learn more about our Display Village please click here.
To find out more about things to expect if you’re going to live in Brisbane please contact us and to keep up to date with the latest news and info, including our regular events, please sign up for our email updates and find us on Facebook and Instagram (@northharbourliving).